I began by looking at the NPR Podcast Directory. I love NPR! I found many podcasts I would enjoy listening to on a daily basis within the categories of Arts and Life, Books and Music. I of course won’t actually subscribe to all of them since that would not be the most productive use of my time at work, but there are many excellent choices!
Within Arts & Life, I’m intrigued by American Experience, Fresh Air, Prairie Home Companion News from Lake Woebegone, Speaking of Faith, Story Corps, Third Coast Intl Audio Festival: Re-sound, This American Life, Wait Wait!, and Whad’Ya Know?
Within Books, I’m intrigued by The Agony Column, All About Books, Between the Lines, Book Talk, Book Tour and Nancy Pearl Book Reviews.
Within Music, I’m tempted by Adult Rock Interviews, All Songs Considered, WTMD’s Artist Interviews, Bach’s Lunch Podcast, The Blue Plate Special, Bluegrass with Mustard, The Blues File, Classics for Kids, Classical to Go! Podcast, the Current Song of the Day, Ear to the Ground, Folk Alley Com’s Alleycast Podcast, A Musician’s Life, Tapestry of the Times, and Thistlepod with Fiona Ritchie.
Ultimately, I subscribed to Nancy Pearl Book Reviews for my book/library related podcast and FolkAlley.com’s Alleycast Podcast (in case I ever have time to listen to it while I eat my lunch) from the NPR Podcast Directory. I think I will also subscribe the Current Song of the Day, since that should be a pretty quick (and fun) thing to listen to.
I think I’ll look to see if I can find any podcasts that feature my husband. That would make him happy. I found WJOL podcasts on PodcastAlley.com but am not going to subscribe since I already hear Steve talk pretty frequently. But at least I had the choice.
When I checked PodcastAlley.com, I found a number of potentially interesting podcasts. I’m not saying I found a number of book or library related podcasts that tempted me. The directory was less than helpful since it did not have a book category. I tried education. No. I tried a couple of other strategies that seemed logical. Mostly no. I don’t remember which category was “lucky,” but I ended up finding The Author Aloud Podcast. I didn’t subscribe to it, but I DID find it! I decided to subscribe to Toddler Craft (I always need ideas for toddler crafts) and Scrap Time (because it looked interesting).
Now for the question whether I found anything useful here. That would be an “I’m not sure.” For one thing, some podcasts are very lo-o-o-o-ong. (At least the ones I’m interested in from NPR are.) It will be good to hear Nancy Pearl’s reviews, but they are probably mostly reviews of adult books. Fun but not completely pertinent to my work in Youth Services. They would be better for ideas of books I might want to read for fun and ideas of books for my book discussion group or Joliet Reads. I HOPE the Toddler Crafts podcasts will be helpful. We’ll see….
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment