I decided to save a little time and selected a site from the short list for the Web 2.0 Awards.
For my first choice, I selected HairMixer since I am a girl who LOVES makeovers. deep sigh. My makeovers were not a. good. thing. I could never make the celebrity faces match up with the celebrity hair correctly. I suspect that matching things up nicely would require more time and patience than I felt like exerting.
So I switched to a different site/tool and visited Geni.com, a genealogy site. I originally tried a different genealogy product that was on the Awards list, but they wanted me to pay money (HA!) and download something. I decided against that.
I thought the Geni.com was a pretty good site for the money. (That is, no money required.) It was easy to use, and I made a good start on my family tree. It would have been even better if I'd brought the information with me. I am not positive that I listed my grandmother's siblings in the right order....
What did I dislike about the tool? It wasn't completely intuitive so it took me a little while to figure out how to do things. (A very short while, but I wanted instant results!) I also thought it was odd that they didn't ask for data about marriage dates and locations, since that's pretty standard within genealogy.
Now for applications within a library setting. I won't have as much use for it professionally as a Children's Librarian as I would if I worked with adults (especially in a local history or genealogy area). However, it could be helpful when I work with students who have family history projects, since it would be fairly easy for children to make a free family tree.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment